Sunday 13 April 2014

The beginning...

I have enjoyed blogging about my Panama move and the experiences of that adventure, and now wish to become more philosophical. Not that my thoughts are better than or deeper than, or even more interesting than anyone else, or that anyone might read what I say/write, or perhaps respond. I am willing to take the risk that I will be ignored, to make my comments, remain polite and respectful, and just see what is the result. It may be like a diary, but I do hope I can be much more interesting than that would indicate, and will strive to be thoughtful, or even funny!

I recently completed reading P.D. James one year diary which is an example of excellent writing - yes, somewhat old-fashioned given today's communication style with blogs, text messaging, the overuse of FaceBook etc.  However, I enjoyed her so-called diary because her use of phrasing, her style, is so appealing to me. James loves the English language and written word even more than I do, and her respect for English shows in every line. Despite little formal education, she can teach us all to communicate in a more eloquent manner. I was born too late, I fear to come near  her style, so will try for my own!

By the way, I say her "so-called diary" as it is not really a diary but a fascinating discourse on a wide variety of topics, revealing of her age and time. Yes, she describes some daily doings, which consist mainly of teas, lunches, speeches, travelling around the country, with little or no writing as she is in the process of publishing a book at the time of writing, and says she writes one book per year. Most of her book strikes me as commentary, and philosophizing...

Until the next time, Constant Reader...

No comments:

Post a Comment